I can’t think of anything more important than keeping my three little ladies safe. There are the obvious safety precautions, such as blocking off the stairs, covering up electrical outlets, and buckling into a car seat whenever you hit the road. However, did you know that car seats may be ineffective when used improperly?
As a first time mom, I had no idea that there were car seat rules. I figured if Veronica was buckled in, she would be safe in the event of an accident. Unfortunately, that’s not true, and more than 9,000 children age 12 and under died in crashes in the past decade. (Source) For Baby Safety Month, I teamed up with some other fantastic bloggers to bring you some baby safety tips.
Here are a few tips for keeping your little one safe in the car:
- Use a new(er) car seat: Did you know that car seats have expiration dates? Be sure to check the date on your seat before strapping your little one in. Also, be sure that the seat you’re using, has never been in an accident, as this can reduce effectiveness. If you must use an older seat, be sure to check it’s recall status.
- Make sure the straps are tight enough: The straps should lie flat against your child. You shouldn’t be able to pinch any of the straps between your fingers. If you can, the straps should be tightened.
- Remove bulky clothing such as winter coats: In the event of an accident, safety straps may not be able to provide adequate protection over a coat. Instead, layer a blanket over your child after they’ve been buckled in.
- The chest clip belongs on the chest. This one might seem obvious, but it’s incredible how many children have the clips down near their stomach. The clips should be flat and aligned with the child’s armpits.
- Make sure that straps are positioned correctly: Double check with the user’s manual, but normally, the straps on a rear-facing seat should be at or slightly below the child’s shoulders.
Most importantly, make sure that you’re actually using a car seat and that it’s the appropriate car seat for your child’s size.
And now for the giveaway, brought to you by: True Agape, This Ole Mom, Ramblings of a Marine Wife, Krafts and Kiddos, and myself. The giveaway runs from today, September 15, through Monday, September 22. The winner will have until that Friday to respond before a new winner is chosen.
Be sure to link up your own baby safety posts below!