Be sure to check out some of my other popular homemade dog treat recipes!
Ever since I made my first batch of two-ingredient dog treats, I’ve been experimenting with all sorts of other flavors of dog treats. Most recently, I tried combining bacon and cheddar. Caesar has been doing extremely well with his separation anxiety lately, so what better way to reward him than with some yummy snacks.
The two things that always get Caesar to the kitchen are bacon and cheese. As soon as he hears me unzip the bag of shredded cheese, he darts to my side. And bacon. Well, everyone loves bacon. They came together in a snap, using my KitchenAid stand mixer and only took 20 minutes to bake in the oven.
I started off by frying up a package of bacon in my cast iron skillet. I love frying bacon in the skillet! Now, you really only need four strips of bacon for this recipe, but if your household is anything like mine, you’ll only have four strips left on the plate by the time everything is fried up.
Once your bacon is fried, you’re going to want to resist the urge to eat it and let it cool completely on a plate lined with a paper towel. It’s important that the bacon is cool for the next step. A quick visit to the refrigerator is fine if you need to.
With the paddle mixer attached, place your bacon, cheese, and milled oatmeal (used my NutriBullet, but a blender should work too) into the mixing bowl. A stand mixer isn’t necessary, but it’s my preference. You can add the bacon whole (it has to be crispy), since the paddle attachment will break it up. Sort of like shredding chicken in the stand mixer.
With all of the dry ingredients combined, add in two eggs to create a dough. You should end up with a thick sticky dough. You’ll need a bit more milled oatmeal to dust the surface that you’re working on to prevent the dough from sticking. Roll the dough out, use cookie cutters to cut out your shapes, bake for about 20 minutes, and feed to your fury friend when cool.
So far, these have been Caesar’s favorite dog treats. Just like when he hears the cheese zipper open, he runs when he hears the zipped on the Ziplock of treats opening up.
- 4 strips Bacon (cooked crispy)
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 cup Milled Oatmeal
- 2 large Eggs
- Additional Milled Oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine bacon, cheese, and oatmeal in mixing bowl. Allow mixer to break bacon and cheese up into little bits.
- Add eggs to the dry mixture to form a thick sticky dough.
- Dust surface of counter with additional milled oatmeal, to prevent sticking.
- Roll dough out to approximately 1/4 of an inch. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Bake treats on a parchment paper lined baking tray for approximately 20 minutes (slightly longer if treats are larger). Treats will be a pale-ish brown when they're ready.
- Allow to cool completely before feeding to your pet.
- My preferred method for getting bacon bits is to fry it crispy, then toss it in the stand mixer. If you prefer to chop it up before frying it, you can do that too.
Linking up with: